Chicken and Black Bean Crockpot Soup
This chicken and black bean soup is simple, wholesome, crazily easy to make and will have you going back for seconds!
At least, I always do…
The Beauty of Crockpots when You’re Pressed for Time
I only started using crockpots quite recently and I think they’re fantastic for those days you don’t have time to cook….and the days you just don’t feel like it.
To me, crockpots are the ultimate solution to being time-pressed in the kitchen but not wanting to reach for the takeaway menu or grab a ready-made meal.
They’re a fantastically time-efficient way to make something delicious, healthy and wholesome without having to spend hours in the kitchen. And with no compromise on taste and variety – google healthy crockpot meals and you’ll be overwhelmed by the choices, from meat and fish, to veg and desserts!
Dump and Go
What could be better than putting all your ingredients into your crockpot and, 6-8 hours later, you have a delicious all-natural homecooked meal ready to go.
Seriously, what’s not to love about that, alhamdullilah.
The Chicken and Black Bean Soup
This particular recipe is very tasty and is kind of like enchilada soup, but without the enchilada sauce or cheese (you can add those in if you’d like to, of course). Even without those 2 ingredients, it’s tasty, protein, vitamin and mineral-packed and 100% natural and homemade.
You can also make this recipe without a crockpot – put all the ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour (until the chicken is cooked though). Remove the meat from the bones and add the shredded chicken back to the soup along with the masa harina and simmer for 20-30mins. Add a little extra water if it’s too thick.
Rather than buying store-bought, make your own taco spice for the recipe (it’s very quick and easy!)
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 lb (500g) skinless chicken on the bone (any pieces ok)
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 can organic sweet corn kernels
- 1 can organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2tbs taco seasoning (or 1 tsp cumin and 1tsp chili powder)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 by leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- Avocado (optional – for serving)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional – for serving)
- Sour cream (optional – for serving)
- Place all of the ingredients except for the masa harina in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat with a fork. Discard the bones.
- Mix the masa harina into the soup mixture, sprinkling it slowly to prevent clumping. I actually use a whisk to be safe)
- Add the shredded chicken back to the crockpot and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped avo, a sprinkling of cilantro and a tsp of sour cream.