Herb Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles)
I LOVE pasta and have been wanting to try zoodles (zucchini noodles) for the longest time, as a healthy alternative to spaghetti, and a great option for those who are eating a gluten-free diet, but just never got around to buying a spiralizer. Well, I finally bought one and OH MY, I am in love.
Zoodles are delicious and it’s hard to believe that they’re raw zucchini!
These herb zoodles are the first recipe I tried – actually, it wasn’t really a recipe… I just kind of threw some herbs, salt and olive oil into my bowl of newly spiralized noodles after thinking that the same combination would be tasty with spaghetti…and voila… num num! I enjoyed them enough to think they deserved a share.
Once you’ve added sauce eat them right away
I did notice the zoodles got a bit watery after they’d sat for a while and I remembered something I’d read in a spiralizing recipe book a while back.. about sprinkling the zoodles with salt and allowing them to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing them off and only then using them as noodles.
Ahem… anyway, I’d completely forgotten to do that and I guess the salt was drawing the moisture out of the zucchini. Nevertheless, they were still absolutely delicious, mashaAllah. I ate half of them like that, and the other half, I added to a coconut and shrimp curry. Yum! Alhamdullilah!
If you want them crunchy and fresh, don’t let them stand for too long and only add the sauce when you’re ready to eat. If you want them softer, draw the eater out with the salt method above or cook them slightly.
Zoodles are great for kids!
A sister who’s an old hand at spiralizing says that it’s great for kids and that they’ll eat all sorts of veggies ‘spiralized’ that they won’t usually touch, zucchini included, so this is definitely one to consider for moms out there, especially if you struggle to get your kids to eat veggies.
Without further adieu, here’s the simple Herb Zoodle recipe.. more zoodle recipes to come in shaa Allah!
- 2 large zucchini
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (or <g class=”gr_ gr_243 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear undefined Grammar multiReplace” id=”243″ data-gr-id=”243″>other fresh herb</g> of your choice)
- 3tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence or Italian herb mix
- 1/4 tsp crushed garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs salt (for sprinkling)
- Parmesan (optional)
- Spiralize the 2 large zucchini and place in a colander on a plate.
- Sprinkle the 2tbs of salt over the zucchini and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and shake off excess water.
- Add the olive oil, cilantro and herbs and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with parmesan shavings.