How to Make Natural Cleansing Grains
Beautiful, natural and only 3 ingredients
I was inspired to make my own facial cleansing grains after seeing the ingredient list from a natural online store.
Why make and not buy?
- I know that they are 100% natural and chemical free
- It’s MUCH cheaper that buying them from a store. Just a few dollars will make a year's supply!
- The ingredients are so incredibly simple and it’s quicker than making a cup of coffee!
There are only 3 basic ingredients to make Natural Facial Cleansing Grains
- Organic Oats
- Organic almonds
- Kaolin Clay
You can also add other natural ingredients to your base.
I added dried lavender flowers, a couple drops of lavender essential oil and a little dried orange skin to my mix which is why it’s a darker colour.
I’m ok with using orange peel in my products as my skin doesn’t react to it but I’d generally suggest erring on the side of caution with citrus or citrus oils as some people are sensitive to it.
ingredients you can add for a bit of variety
- Flowers: dried lavender, rose or chamomile (1-2 tsp/cup)
- Herbs: dried peppermint, sage, rosemary (1tsp/cup)
- Spices: Turmeric is also great to add to face products (½ tsp per cup)
- Essential Oils: lavender, rose, geranium (1-3 drops per ½ cup of dry mixture) Remember essential oils are very potent and you’ll be using the cleansing grains on your face so less is more.
Please also remember that not all oils are safe for use on the skin and some may cause irritation. allergic reactions or photo-sensitivity so tread carefully whenever using essential oils in general, or adding them to skin products. Please do your research on oil safety and test products on a small patch of skin first and if any irritation occurs, don’t use the product.
Safety of Essential Oils https://naha.org/explore-aromatherapy/safety
My personal recipe for cleansing grains
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup almonds
- 3 tbs kaolin clay
- 1tsp dried lavender flowers
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- Throw put the oats and lavender flowers into a coffee grinder and whizz for about 10-15 seconds.
- Add the almonds and whizz again until the mix is a reasonably fine powder (if you want a bit of a ‘scrub texture’, whizz a bit less)
- Tip the mix into a bowl and mix in the kaolin clay and essential oil.
- Store in a sealed container in a cool place.
This recipe doesn’t contain water but does contain perishable products (and no preservatives) so will not last forever. I would suggest making a new batch every 3 months to be safe.
How to use:
- Place about ½ -1 tsp of cleansing grains in the palm of your hand.
- Mix in a little water to make a paste
- Massage into your skin.
- Rinse thoroughly
- Pat your skin dry.
Author: Kate Hepburn, Nutrition Consultant and Founder of Healthy Muslimah
want to learn more?
If you’re interested in attending an ONLINE weekend workshop where you learn how to make and choose the best natural chemical-free products (for you and your family), LET ME KNOW below.