Suhoor Recipe Ideas
Suhoor Recipe Ideas
What you eat for suhoor sets you up for the rest of the day and making good choices for the pre-dawn meal can make all the difference to your energy levels, helping avoiding blood sugar crashes, energy slumps, mood swings and headaches/migraines.
An ideal suhoor is a combination of high-quality protein, hydrating vegetables/greens and water (or herbal tea).
It’s HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to include protein in your morning meal.
Protein makes you feel satiated, digests slowly (so you feel full longer) and most importantly, it helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
Eating a pre-dawn meal that is largely carbohydrates (cereal, paratha, bread, pastry, fruit juice, sugary products including sweet tea) will cause blood sugar fluctuation and these foods are best avoided for suhoor, especially if eaten/drunk alone. Caffeine is dehydrating and is also best avoided for suhoor.
Excellent Choices for Suhoor:
- Eggs (eggs are one of THE most incredible whole foods! SubhanAllah!)
- Chicken, meat, fish (if you can stomach it early in the morning)
- Protein powder (in a smoothie or mixed into your porridge)
- Almonds (great source of protein) and other nuts
- Seeds (chia, flax, pumpkin, sunflower etc)
- Oatmeal (delicious with coconut milk, sprinkled with nuts and fresh grated coconut)
- Water/lemon water/herbal tea
- Healthy fats: avocado, olive oil, olives, salmon, chia seeds, coconut, nuts/seeds
- Hydrating vegetables (cucumber, tomato, celery, etc..)
- Green vegetables such as spinach, kale, zucchini etc. (excellent for alkalinizing your body)
Foods to Avoid
- White bread
- Croissants, pastries
- Sugar and sugary products
- Very salty products that will make you thirsty
- Fruit Juice (fruit juice without the natural fibre that would come with the eating the whole fruit, is loaded with sugar and will cause blood sugar spikes and drops)
- Savoury Egg Muffins – All Floured up
- Berry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls – Skinny Taste
- Cold Porridge – Yezarck
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- High Protein Overnight Oats
- Open-faced Omelet with Avocado
- Fritata Florentine
- Breakfast Grain Salad with Blueberries and Hazelnuts
- Spinach Feta Wrap
- Poached Eggs with Collard Greens
- Poached Eggs, Avocado and Smoked Salmon
- Vegetarian Pizza Omelette
- Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Frittata
- Courgette Frittata
- Cherry Tomato and Parmesan Frittata
- Zucchini Egg Omelette
What do you like to eat for suhoor? Do you have any delicious and healthy recipes to share?